Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can a post on twitter raise legal actions against me?

Customer Question

JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Posted Would u like to c what?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No,
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (PQS1MLV)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The post has been attached, please let me know.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks a lot, I am waiting for your reply.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No, it's okay, if you just see the post I have sent you and inform me whether it will have legal consequences or not, that should do.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

1.  You can get sued for defamation in respect of a post on Twitter, if what you say, is false and wrongly defames someone.  So, what you have said in this Twitter post needs to be true and you must be able to stand over it in a court of law.  Essentially, publishing something on Twitter is the same as publishing something elsewhere.  It must not be false and if you express an opinion about someone, then it should be fair comment or be objectively justified from the facts of the situation.  So, in this post, the allegations of being molested and discriminated must be true.  Additionally, the comment you make about the place must be fair comment which can be objectively justified.  Additionally, it must be true that you worked there for the two years you state you did.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I did work there
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what I have posted is true.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

2. Truth is always a defence to any claim in defamation because the allegations must be false before there is a cause of action.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

3.  So, if what you say is true, then you have nothing to worry about, so long as you can stand over it.