How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8332
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Pearl, Me and my partner have split ( we were not married)

This answer was rated:

HI, Pearl, Me and my partner have split ( we were not married) and sold the house. there is equity now there. it was a joint mortage but I paid for the whole amount. we are trying to split funds and I have spent time and effort.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Am i entitled to request 50% from her of what I paid to the mortgage in the settlement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I would bascially like to know.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

plclegal and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
HI peter, me and my partner have split. we were not married. we have sold the house with equity. I paid the whole joint mortgage and have done considerable work on the house to gain great equity. I am paying back everyone outside the relation monies we borrowed to get it done. where does the law stand when ...In that I have now requested her to pay 50% of the joint mortgage back to me. and even labor cost of all the work I have done to achive the end price. My expartner just walked out of the house siting that she was just unhappy. we share all the cost of our 3 kids and I paid for 95% of ALL the other bills.

Hello, thanks for your patience.

Whilst you can pay back all of the people that lent you money to assist with the work on the house from the equity, you can't necessarily ask for 50% of all of the mortgage payments back from your ex partner before dividing the remaining money between you.

You could however seek to reimburse yourself for the work you carried out on the property.

Unless you are a skilled labourer and this is your trade, I'm less confident you can be paid for your time though, I'm afraid.

I trust that this answers your question?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please can you call me
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It is possible to call on my landline 01625 402171 in 10 minutes

One of my colleagues on the site has picked up your call request - please bear with them as I have no control over when they make the call. Customer services can assist if you are having issues connecting with them, here:

Telephone: 0808(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Ok thanks. Please can you get someone to call on 01625 ****

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am having net work issues
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am not a skilled trader so could request my time time spent doing up the this correct

No - the opposite. As your time is given freely given that this is not your trade, you were effectively DIY-ing, you can't necessarily claim this time back. Materials - yes. Your time - no, in my view. If you were a builder, or electrician for example, you could claim to have been 'working' which is where you could have claimed for your time.

I trust that clarifies the point?

As I said a colleague will be in touch by telephone to fulfil your call request.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks. my partner put in 43 k and i put in 19k for the deposit of the house. How does this stand when dividing it up as a joint mortage. I then paid the rest of the mortgage payments for 7 years

This is a new question, but I'll answer here for your ease of reference.

If unequal deposits are protected by a deed of trust, then they would be returned to the person who paid it in as per that deed.

If not, there's no presumption that this would be the case, but often it is still seen as the 'decent' thing to do.

You could possibly, however, have an equitable argument to say that your contributions over the years counter balance the disparity in deposits and revert therefore to a 50/50 split.

I hope that assists.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Last question. This a joint mortgage.with no prior agreements When we come to sell the eyes of the law no matter who did what. I havr been told the equity is split 50/50 this correct

That is the black and white starting point, yes.

As I've suggested though, things are not always black and white!

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for your help today. I did not revceive a call though....will i still be charged this.

You won't be charged if a call did not happen. I put customer services' details in a message earlier to day so plazas contact them to make sure as I don't have access to customer accounts or billing information. Thanks again for your questions today, I am very happy to have helped.