How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14819
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have left talk talk after I was out of contract and had an

Customer Question

Hello I have left talk talk after I was out of contract and had an online chat to confirm my last payment. I have copies to prove this and have been sent a bill for triple the amount? I have just spoken to complaints and they have informed me I have to pay this bill due to leaving talk talk and gave me three different end of contact dates whilst on the phone? I am happy to pay the bill for one days use which is one months charge. Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Norfolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contact on live chat and just called and spoken to an agent
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have all paperwork regarding my contact and I have screenshots of the live chat so have proof of what they have quoted as a final payment
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

There is a way to resolve this thankfully.

You can apply to the telecommunications Ombudsman - which is free to use and is quicker than court action. It is an arbitration scheme meaning the Ombudsman's decision is legally binding if you accept it. You do have to make a formal complaint to TalkTalk first before you can avail of the Ombudsman though. You say you spoke to them today - you now need to call them back and ask them to send you their final response.

The Ombudsman will not help until you have TalkTalk's final decision. Three should not take any enforcement action / debt collection attempts during the complaints process (which takes up to 8 weeks) and until the Ombudsman provides their final response (16 weeks).

You can allege breach of contract against TalkTalk (you have consumer rights here which have been infringed in my view). Their bill is clearly far too high.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Communications Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with TalkTalk which would hopefully result in a reduction of the bill or even a cancellation of the bill altogether. They can also order the phone company to make a financial award if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in to help.

Once you have the final response from them, you can escalate to the Ombudsman here:
Or by email: *****@******.***

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Jim for the information you have given me this has helped and put my mind at ease
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.
My pleasure, thanks