frantzgregory
frantzgregory,
80411141

My local council from whom I receive a relatively small

My local council from whom I receive a relatively small housing benefit, have asked me to provide them with copies of the latest two months of my bank statements. They add that should I not comply they may well stop paying the benefit. This seems to me very heavy handed and probably illegal. I appreciate that they may well need certain information about my income but their demand to see everything necessarily revealed in a bank statement is excessive and probably exceeds thei powers.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Benenden in the borough council of Tunbridge Wells Kent.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have until 16 of this month to comply. So fa r I have done nothing.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, not that I can think of.

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your question.

Unfortunately the request by the council is not heavy handed at all. For some reason your eligibility to receive benefits have been triggered. They are legally required to ask for your financial information.

I hope this response has helped. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, you can ask another question on the site. It has been my pleasure to assist you.