How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3487
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have been threatened with Contempt proceeding due to

Customer Question

I have been threatened with Contempt proceeding due to alleged non-compliance of a Tomlin Order, which was signed as part of a High Court claim and a Family Court settlement. The Tomlin Order should have covered the entire agreement but the other side’s solicitor had inserted the phase “This constituted the entire agreement” and this was not spotted or understood by my solicitor and I was advised to sign it, even though I questioned why the does not include the element of the bargain which were in my favour.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none on this issue
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the claimant is my ex’s brother and the entire matter is vindictive harassment with parental alienation going on in the background.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  RJM Law replied 15 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  With this being the case, it would seem your solicitor is at fault.  If that is the fact, then you will require to raise a complaint to the law firm who has dealt with this and ask them to remedy the matter and they should not be looking to charge you if they are rectifying their mistake.  If you are not able to obtain a remedy via the law firm themselves, you can escalate the matter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority who can do an independent review into the matter.  In the meantime, you will want to explain this matter to the opposing solicitor and ask if they have an offer of remedy for the alleged breach.   If your solicitor was negligent this could speak to a defence should they attempt to bring contempt proceedings.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.