How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1917
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Team, i would like to get a solicitor who will stand or

Customer Question

Hi team,
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i would like to get a solicitor who will stand or assistant me for a counter claim that was made when I made a claim to a worker who was working in my house.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not taken any step yet as I just received the counter claim the worker made
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i have pictures and text of the contract that was made and the work should last for 6 days but he only work for one day and took !500 pounds from us and said that he is not going to work again
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

Firstly, the supplier must issue you with a pre-action Letter of Claim before issuing Court Proceedings against you for Debt and/or Breach of Contract.   I recommend that you deny the claim so that the supplier will have to issue contested Part 7 Court Proceedings for damages plus interest and legal costs as opposed to following the undisputed debt recovery route of serving you with a Statutory Demand for repayment in the debt in full within 21 days prior to filing a court petition for your company’s insolvency.

If the parties cannot agree an economic settlement following service of the Letter of Claim, the onus is on the supplier to issue Court Proceedings against you.   There is a six-year limitation period for a claimant to issue Court Proceedings against a Defendant for breach of contract, otherwise the claim is statute-barred and the claimant will not be able to issue court proceedings against you without the Court’s express permission for the claim to proceed out of time.

If you want to recover damages from the supplier, you will have to pursue them yourself.   I suggest that you approach them in polite but firm terms.  If these requests are refused or ignored, I suggest that you send pre-action Letters of Claim to the workers and issue Court Proceedings against all those workers who refuse to pay you back in one set of Part 7 Proceedings.

Once the supplier has issued Part 7 Court Proceedings against you and should you wish to claim a contribution and/or indemnity against the supplier, you may issue Proceedings under Part 20 of the CPR so that your supplier's main claim, your defence to it, and your claims against the workers are included in the same set of court proceedings.

Depending on the the combined values of the customer’s claim the proceedings will probably be allocated to the Fast Track or the Multi Track system of the County Courts.  These Tracks are very formal and legally technical, and it is expected that both parties will instruct solicitors to conduct the litigation and barristers to represent them at Trial.   The normal rule on these Tracks is that the winning party (either at a Final Hearing, or through a negotiated settlement) can expect to receive most of their legal costs from the losing party.

I strongly recommend that you instruct specialist commercial dispute resolution and court litigation solicitors to advise you and conduct the litigation.   If you cannot afford legal costs upfront, you should contact your businesses’ insurers and ask if they will cover your legal costs under a legal expenses insurance policy.   They will either pay your solicitors’ fees or appoint a law firm on their panel of solicitors to act for you.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards