Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am having my house renovated and I am living in it whilst

I am having my house renovated and I am living in it whilst it is being done. The builder has left expensive tools on the property and my property was broken into last night. The builder says approximately £4000 of tools are missing and is hinting I should pay since it appears the patio door was left unlocked and that’s how the burglars gained access and as such the builders insurance won’t pay.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the U.K., in Bournemouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Informed the police and have a crime reference number
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I’m aware of

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Am I responsible for the builders tools that were stolen?

1.  You don´t owe a duty to the builder here, in these circumstances, to prevent the tools he stored on your property getting stolen.  Essentially, the builder is at the risk of the loss of the tools. You didn´t voluntarily agree to store his tools on your property and as such, you cannot be held liable in bailment when some thief enters your property and steals them.

2. Essentially, the builder didn´t tell you he was going to store the tools on your property and as such, you don´t have a liability to him when a thief enters and steals them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for the inforation.

3.  You are welcome.  Glad to be of assistance.