How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2490
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I am 79 yrs old and have been wrestling with what to do with

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am 79 yrs old and have been wrestling with what to do with my assets
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Anglesey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Have consulted a local solicitor, but am less than impressed with their abilities to deal with my problems. Been putting it off, but realise I must do something soon.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have one son who, because of his lies and behavior will get nothing, or perhaps a token to stop him making a claim. Two grandchildren who have been kept away because of the lies. One partner who is now my carer, but thinks she should be allowed to stay on to keep the two dogs until she finds a place to rent nearer her family. A familial obsession. Shows no interest in looking after the wildlife sanctuary I have created. And has kept me away from her family by talking in Welsh, even in front of me. There is so much more.

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. How can I help you today?

Joy Nicholas and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The first problem - I have myelomalacia, all my limbs are becoming numb deadened. I am told it is terminal. I type on the keyboard with one finger on the left hand, because my right is now virtually useless. So I may take a while to answer your questions.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The number you have is for a simple flip phone. No touch screen. Call 01248 470577 landline.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We seem to have been cut off. Tried calling back, but is something to do with my development.? ?
Hi, thank you for your message. If an expert called you they should call you back. Otherwise I can answer your question here. I am sorry to hear about your illness. If you can please type your question here when you can I will be happy to answer.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have no will or trust set up. I was confident that a lady acquaintance who became my partner in 2006 - after my wife died, but who is now my carer, had/has an agenda that leaves me in the cold. I selected a verbal consultation on Sat,11th Sept. Was cut off after a few minutes. Tried to call the number - answer M/c telling me something about my 'development'? No one called me back. The only info I got was that I must do my own due diligence ? ? No further on. A situation I thought I was in, a few years back, has now changed drastically and those who were around to do any administering, have passed away, or have been exposed as trying to hoodwink me. I am now on my own, decision-wise, and don't know which way to turn. Local solicitors - from, experience - do not appear to be up to the task.
Hi,thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. What type of assests do you have and are you looking to set up a will?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Country cottage property in app 2acres. From a derelict mud patch in the 1970s, is now a many trees wildlife reserve (My description). Many outdoor buildings & contents - furniture, tools many incidental collections. 2 x Bank accounts. Two overseas investments. Have state and private pension income £240/wk, less tax.. I most want to protect the wildlife situation and the red squirrel status of the property and my 2 x rescue dogs, but with no one to entrust them/it to. How do I find a responsible tenant or owner to pass it on to? Maybe a trust ? I really don't know. From believing my partner/carer would take care of everything (even tho I haven't made a will), I now find she just wants to be allowed to stay here with my 2 x rescue dogs after my death until she finds a property in (what I call her family ghetto location) the town where she was born - about 10 miles away. She is quite middle well-off, as are her v elderly parents, but is obsessed with collecting as much wealth as possible to keep exclusively for her BLOOD relatives only and is trying to bully her ex-husband to leave the business they own in partnership, exclusively to their two children and NOT to his new family (he has managed to resist up to now). Her narcissistic daughter has done the same to a past husband and has done the same to exclude HER present partner from benefitting from her death - everything going to her 3 children, even tho he is the father of one of them - he gets nothing. She has an autistic son who now lives in Tennesee with his bible-bashing American wife and 4 children. The four children were birthed over here on the NHS to save medical costs, before moving to the US 4yrs ago. And that brief just skims the surface.
Hi, thank you for your message. What is the approx value of your estate? You mentioned that the local solicitor is not up for the task. What do you mean by this?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I had listed some dozen instances where local solicitors have failed in their duty to represent ME. For some reason, the whole lot just got wiped from my PC.
As so many are linked by association and branches, I have little confidence in any of them being able to work Fee charging and expediency seems to be the norm rather than MY interests as the guiding principle. In particular 3 branches are associated with someone I wish to disinherit. Probably cost me thousands with a solicitor failing to take to task a Blackpool, Solicitor who made unauthorised payments out of my parents' estate AND failed to provide interim OR final accounts for that estate.
Bad experiences and incorrect advice with others costing me much time and money to put right has left me with no trust in any local solicitors. Local talent may be fine for conveyancing, providing it is straightforward. Experience has been a tough teacher.
Valuation is subjective as no two country cottages and grounds are alike. I did have a local Estate Agent a few years back offering to sell my place for £280K. But that was apparently based on the local average, but could not possibly have taken location, buildings and content into account.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences. It appears that you have not found the right lawyer to work on this matter. Due to the complexity of this case I would strongly advise that you instruct a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:
Whether you decide to write a will or create a trust will depend on the value of your estate. There may also be tax advantages by creating a trust. The solicitor you instruct will need to review your full case and go through all your finances. They will also need to know who you want to benefit from your estate.
You can read more about setting up a will here:
You can read more about different trusts and tax advantages here:
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Best wishes