Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

We are looking for a solicitor to help us with the starting

Customer Question

Hi there, we are looking for a solicitor to help us with the starting up of our new business.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: we are in the uk, in colchester, Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have hired a business advisor so far and have opur business plan as well as a check list of everything we need to do. It will be a partnership business and we just one someone to tell us the legal steps to follow
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thats will be averything, we oudl really be interisting on any advice on things thta we might not have considered
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

You need to register a new limited company at Companies House.   You can do this online via the Companies House Online website.   New applications are usually approved within two working days from receipt.   You should check that your intended name is ***** ***** in use and is not misleading.   For example, your company name should not include “Solicitor” or “Law Firm” if you do not provide legal services and are not authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

As a limited company, you will enjoy the protection of separate legal personality.   Your business and personal assets will be entirely separate, and your business’s creditors will not be able to pursue your personal monies and property for business debts and other liabilities.

However, in return for the benefit of separate corporate legal personality comes the onerous requirements of openness, transparency, and a certain degree of publicity in your company’s affairs.   You must file Annual Returns and Accounts at Companies House in accordance with their deadlines.

I strongly recommend that you retain the services of a qualified accountant.   They will be able to register you at HM Revenue & Customs as “self-employed” and be able to manage your accounts and tax liability via a secure cloud-based provider such as Xero, Zoho and Free Agent.   Your accountant will prepare your Annual Returns and Confirmation Statements and file these at Companies House.

A commercial solicitor can also draft business, employment, and property contracts for you and manage your business affairs and deal with any potential disputes that may arise.

If you are starting out on your own, you can be a sole director and shareholder of the company.   The company will be incorporated with the Model Articles of Association of the Companies Act 2006.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd