How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14747
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I got my hair done yesterday with my hairdresser and damage

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I got my hair done yesterday with my hairdresser and damage was caused to my hair and scalp
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted the lady and she said she would give me my money back or put a treatment in it next week My hair has snapped all at the back and surrounding front of my hair The bleach was left in too long I took pictures and sent them to her
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that is it thanks

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

If the injury has now resolved, you could simply pursue a small claim for your money back against the hairdresser. If however you have lasting damage, the claim would be more of a personal injury type - you would need a law firm to pursue this as it is a more complex case and a report from a dermatologist is likely to be required.
If you simply want your money back, your rights have been breached under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. The service has to be carried out with proper care and diligence otherwise you can demand your money back.

You should write to the hairdresser and tell them this and that you want your money back in 14 days otherwise you will sue. I have attached an example of a letter which you are welcome to use. This gives them a chance to refund you and avoid litigation which is preferable.

You can use the Court Service Online website to start a claim against the hairdresser.

The fee to start the claim is 25 euro and this is added on to the amount which you paid to the hairdresser.

You will need to register as a new user at

Once you have done that, the Small Claims Registrar serves the court documents upon the defendant. If the defendant disputes the claim then the Registrar sends you a copy of the response.

The Registrar will try to resolve the claim for you both - if it does not resolve then the Registrar will pass the claim to the nearest District Court where in most cases the dispute is decided on paper but the judge may decide to list a hearing in case the papers do not enable them to make a decision.
If you want to consider a personal injuries claim then as I said you will need a law firm - you can use this site to find a local personal injury solicitor :

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi JimCan I send you the pictures? Is this a private forum as I don't want it available to the public?Thanks
It’s not a private forum, sorry. I can look at the photos - it will be tomorrow now as I’m about to sign off for today. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can you send me your e mail please? I will send pictures thanks.

Thanks, ***** ***** upload documents by either clicking the tab on your page, or email them to:***@******.***.

For uploading documents please see the following guide: How do I send a photo or file to the Expert?

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are these private as I don't want them viewed by the public? Thanks

It's not a private forum, the site terms and conditions confirm this. If any names are ***** ***** here the site moderators redact them.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help.

My pleasure