SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

While I was in the field for work and working, 3 policemen

While I was in the field for work and working, 3 policemen knocked on the door of my apartment where my wife and child live, my wife let them enter the building because she was scared of them ... they came to the door of the apartment and asked my wife where am I? to which she replied that I had left for work and was returning on Saturday or Sunday, then they asked if I was coming on Saturday or Sunday for her to give them the correct answer, to which she answered that she didn't know exactly, which is true because I don't know when exactly I will finish. The next question from the police was who she (my wife) was, she answered all the questions. Then my wife asked why they were looking for me, to which they replied that nothing was terrible and that everything was fine (they did not explain their arrival, what is the purpose of their arrival)
so the cops were writing something ... again my wife asked why they came and why they were looking for me, they answered again that everything was fine and left. They didn't give any answer and they left my wife in fear and unknowledge, after she immediately called me and told me what had happened ... I started to feel bad and I couldn't sleep like her. We think non-stop and it's hard for us because we don't know why they were ... what is the reason for their arrival. And above all they did not introduce themselves at all, which I think is the law to introduce who they are, and what they came for.can i sue them for harassment? or what should I do?

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

The police are entitled to make enquiries, so this will not be seen as harassment. If you wish to know why they were looking for you, simply call the local police station and ask.

If this happens again in the future, either you or your wife shiuld ask for their police numbers so that you can immediately check with the local police station to see if they are in fact police officers. Real police officers will have absolutely no issue with providing you with this information and will wait whilst you call the police station.

Whilst I appreciate you and your wife were a bit disturbed/upset by this, it really isn't harassment and therefore there is nothing to sue them for.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
my english is a little weak but i hope you will understand what i am writing because i use an interpreter, okay they have the right to inquire but also my wife and i have the right not to open the door, or not to answer them anything until no we know the reason for their arrival, when they say the reason why they came to us is the choice of whether we will answer or not, they had no paper with them to let us in to interrogate us..they had no warrant for their arrival ... s I don't think they have the right to enter the house?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you for help me :)

These are questions you will need to ask of the police sergeant at your local station. I don't know why they came to your door and I cannot guess. They must have felt they had valid reasons, they knocked, your wife answered and answered their questions so they didn't do anything wrong.

As I said, ask the local police station what they came to your house for.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you for answering,

You're very welcome.

Make sure you speak to a sergeant at the station.