John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I am a stroke victim cannot use left leg or arm and have

Customer Question

I am a stroke victim cannot use left leg or arm and have lost peripheral vision on the left. I am receiving rehab in a care home. When my physio decides I am well enough to go home (I live alone), my social worker says that the council weont fit a wet room or walk in shower I have a shower over R the
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Huddersfield
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: The physio has deemed it suitable for me, which I strongly disagree with
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes I am asthmatic and the property is damp, also I have reported incidents of threats, assault and intimidation by drug dealers towards myself in the past. Now I am disabled I dont feel I will be safe in that location. My social worker seems to have disregarded these facts and agree with the physio.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Flat is a one bed small b cramped property. I cannot see how it's now suitable. What can I do.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If I dont go back, they say I will have to go to another care home without physio rehab, or a mens shelter. Also they say I can wash bia a strip wash each day with a carer
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also they said that guidelines state that a shower/bath is a want not a need.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Flat is council, local authority, kirklees
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Expert:  John replied 8 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear of the issues here. Under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 landlord’s must ensure their homes are safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm.

I would suggest if the issue cannot be resolved, then you report it to the Local Government Ombudsman https://www.lgo.org.uk/ They look at individual complaints about councils, and some other organisations providing local public services.

Expert:  John replied 8 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 8 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John