How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5443
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

On Monday we received a tenant renewal contact from Mr Glyde

This answer was rated:

On Monday we received a tenant renewal contact from Mr Glyde to sign with a increase of £55 each month in rent.We found a property that we made an application for so we held off signing the contract.Our offer was accepted by the new landlord yesterday so I emailed Mr Glyde to inform him I didn’t think it necessary to sign his contract as all going well we would be giving him notice in the coming days.He replied that he still needed us to sign the tenancy renewal and the rent would be increased for our notice period of two months.Foolishly I hadn’t realised the notice period was 2 months and have given a date next month to move into our new house.We haven’t signed a contract with Mr Glyde since 2019 so we are wondering if there is some way we can leave earlier than 2 months as we don’t want to risk loosing the house we have found.We are also eager to move after having had some recents issues with a neighbour.I just would like your professional opinion on what our options are. If we should sign his new contract etc?Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.Kind regards
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: kent England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: non
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Firstly, you do not need to sign the new agreement with the new amount. You can simply refuse to do so. The landlord then has the option to either keep the rent at the same cost as you already pay, or serve you notice to leave, which is no hardship as you are leaving anyway.

If your original tenancy was for a fixed period and that has expired and you have still been renting, then you would be periodic tenancy. That means that you notice period would normally be the same as per the rent ie if you pay monthly then one months rent, the exception to this is if the tenancy agreement states otherwise. If it says two months then that is the requirement.

You can negotiate with the landlord to leave a month early, or are to pay for the month you are not there.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for this help.Can you see any reason why the landlord is so insistent on this contract being signed other than for him to receive the extra money?We have given his details as our reference for the new property and we believe he is delaying giving his reference until we have signed the contract so we feel backed into a corner slightly.Are there any loopholes we can use to reduce the notice period to one month? We feel he will not negotiate this.

Signing a new tenancy may tie you in for a longer period.

There are no loopholes, what is stated in the tenancy is legally enforceable.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is the landlord able to give a negative reference? We are concerned he will out of spite if we do not signed his contract.

He can only give an honest reference.

james bruce and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you