JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

Is it possible for a parent to lose their parental rights

Customer Question

hello, is it possible for a parent to lose their parental rights due to emotional distress and if domestic abuse has occurred?
JA: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?
Customer: A non molestation order was previously put in place but has now ended and a child's order stating that the child lives with the mother full time and that the father needs to make an application to the courts for a child arrangement order is now in place
JA: Has he talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: its been two years since the child has seen the father via a contact centre, the child in question doesn't have a relationship with the father and its been 6 months since the child order has been put in place and the father was advised to apply for a child arrangement order in order to see the child but has yet to do so
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 16 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and children's matters so I'd be happy to offer some guidance.When you say 'parental rights,' I assume you mean parental responsibility? In a nutshell, it would be extremely unlikely for a parent to lose parental responsibility for the matters you describe. Parental responsibility is rarely removed. For the record, there is a also no time limit as to how long a father must be absent to lose responsibility in respect of their child.I trust that information helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Kind regards, J
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
good evening, the child in question currently sufferers from emotional distress due to the domestic abuse he witnessed and also the emotional abuse he also went through as a baby, would that not be considered?
Hello and thank you for that additional information. I am sorry to hear about the awful abuse to the child - it's genuinely very sad. That said, whilst parental responsibility would likely be maintained, the involvement the child's father should have in a his life will be determined on what is in the best interest of that child.  Each case is treated on its own merits to make that determination.  Kind regards, J
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you for your time and advice. have a nice evening
you. Thank you for your question and for using Just Answer. Please let me know if you need any further help. Kind regards, Jeremy.