How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5433
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am from the UK and I was convicted of common assault and

Customer Question

Hi, I am from the UK and I was convicted of common assault and public order offence in England for an unfortunate incident around 7 years ago. My name and photograph was put in a local newspaper and if you search my name it comes up at the top on search engines. The conviction is now spent and since that experience I have successfully become a personal licence holder and managed Public houses, I have also been accepted for an SIA door supervisor licence, as well as being halfway through a degree. I really do not want this one unfortunate event to hold back my future, is there any way I can have this article removed?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

sorry to hear what has happened, but good on you to have put this behind you and getting you life in order.

Unfortunately, anything published in the press either paper or online, is there in the public domain as a news story, freedom of the press etc. Totally legal and very little you can do about that. You cannot force the item to be removed. All you can do is write to the site administrators explain the problem and ask if they would remove the posting.
Once again, they do not have to do so as their is no legal obligation on them to do so.

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That is quite disappointing, could I just ask, what would you do in this situation? In your opinion, what is the best possible solution to stop this from hindering my future? I have already asked them several times and they refused to take it down you see.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

As explained, there is nothing legally you can do, criminal offences took place, you were convicted, the matter was reported, sorry to say, that is the situation you are in, nothing can be done.

What would I do in the situation does not apply, I would not have committed the offence.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The situation was more complicated than that, it wasn’t as straight forward as I committed an offence. I just came out of the situation worse off because the other party had more witnesses. There was an altercation, I admitted to my part in it, but because he had witnesses, he became the victim, I became the offender. And personally, I don’t feel I should be punished for the rest of my life for one incident. I was not implying you would commit any offence, just simply asking if you know of any way I could disconnect from this article.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

I understand. Sometimes the law is unfair.
In this case there is nothing you can do regarding what has happened.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your help, I suppose I could just change my name.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

That is an option, you could do that by deed poll.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I didn’t want to do that, just couldn’t think of any other options. After your advice I suppose this is the only way. Thanks again.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Your welcome.