How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MatthewM1117 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 672
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MatthewM1117 is online now

I have had lung cancer since 2016. I still work. in 2018, my

This answer was rated:

I have had lung cancer since 2016. I still work. in 2018, my colleague who does the same job had a 10k pay rise, virtually the whole company had one at that time though not as much as we are both directors. Despite several chats, I've still not been given one. Can I bring a tribunal case?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Probably Truro Cornwall
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Don't think so

Good afternoon, thank you fro contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, have you raised a formal grievance with your employer in relation to the lack of pay rise?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, we are only a relatively small company 75 ish people. I've spoken to the MD about it a few times. MD also owns the company. However, there was an issue last Friday as a result of which I've now put it in writing, asking why there is a difference in our salary's. 2018 would have been the fist pay rise since I got cancer. Up until then, the other director and I earnt the same money and got pay rises at the same time.

Thank you for the confirmation, this would appear to be grounds to pursue a claim for discrimination arising from disability. I would advise that you firstly, fully explore the grievance procedure first, to ascertain whether the company can provide any reasoning for the lack of a pay rise.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you.

To finalise, if your grievance does not resolve the matter adequately I would advise that you escalate the matter and enter into conciliation with ACAS, using the following link:

This is a free and impartial service whereby ACAS will try to resolve the matter between yourselves and ACAS, if this fails they will issue a certificate allowing you to bring a claim to the employment tribunal for disability discrimination.

MatthewM1117 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can you send me your details please, will need to engage you to take this forward.

I will be happy to assist you going forwards, any further questions put FAO Matthew and I will be happy to answer these.

Unfortunately I cannot carry out direct representation through this platform.