Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I have receive a single rustice procedure notice from TFl,

hello, I have receive a single rustice procedure notice from TFl
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: prior to this letter I emailed them explain the situation, now the want me to plea Quilty or not
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: in my previous email to TLF I provided evidence that I did pay for my ticket to the destination but on my return I didn't.
Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate.Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about this. The notice should include details of the charge against you. Review it and check if you agree with all the details. You should submit a plea of guilty or not guilty within 21 days from the date of the notice. If you decide to plead guilty, you can choose to go to court or not.

If you do not reply, your case will be heard without you and this could mean you have to pay a higher fine.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have read online that I can send an email/letter to TFL requesting to resolve this outside court, to avoid any damage on my criminal record. What should I state in this letter? what will be the best way to approach this situation? This is all new to me and I am worried this may go on my criminal records and have consciences with my life, work and future studies.

Yes, it is possible however, If Transport for London believe that you have committed a criminal offence, they may decide to prosecute you.

The best thing to do could be to instruct a solicitor to help you decide how to plead.

And if needs to be, defend you.

We can't do it on this website I am afraid.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you provide any service I can pay to get help with a solicitor? if not do you know where I can find one and how much does it usually costs ?

I wish I could but the site rules prevent me from doing so. As you are based in London, just google Fare Evasion Lawyers London, and you will see a number of firms who specialise in it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay thank you I understand. If I do end up going to court do I receive a criminal record that can therefore have serious consequences?

It will show up as a criminal record, if you are found guilty, or if you plead guilty.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
On your website I read a similar situation to mine, and the Barrister advised that Byelaw 17(1), if I plead Quilty it will carried a fine only and it's not recordable on DBS checks. Is this true?

It is interesting, as the relevant Bylaws state (23): http://content.tfl.gov.uk/railway-byelaws.pdf that if you breach the Byalws then you commit an offence.

I am not entirely convinced if this would not show on the enhanced DBS...

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
oh okay. Not sure if this is something that you can advice me but I would like to see your point of view. I am very short with money, and at the moment any solicitor I spoke with is charging way out of my budget. If I try negotiating with TFL to take this out of court by myself, without the help of a solicitor, do you think it will be unsuccessful?

I think it is worth trying but as they issued the notice, you need to ensure you do not miss any deadline, in case they are not interested in negotiating.