How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5450
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Can a new landlord change my tenancy agreement, London UK,

This answer was rated:

Can a new landlord change my tenancy agreement
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve tried to negotiate with the land lord, but he isn’t open to discussion
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that’s fine

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorrybtomhear you are having problems with the new landlord.

Did he purchase the property with you in place as a tenant?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No he is a new property manager
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The landlord uses his company to run the property
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can give you the full breakdown
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He is asking for a deposit, even though I paid no deposit upon entering the flat, he is also changing my rent date to a week earlier than it normally is. He is also changing my tenancy from a rolling contract to 12 months, all of which I have expressed concern about. What are my rights here?

If you currently have a fixed tenancy agreement, then that remains as it is until the end of the fixed period, they can do nothing about that.

Once the fixed period ends, the tenancy becomes a periodic tenancy, that is a rolling month by month tenancy.
Ghis will end either by you terminating or a new fixed tenancy being created.

If the new landlord does not want a periodic tenancy but wants security of a fixed period tenancy, then yes they can do that. They can with a new fixed tenancy include a deposit, that is very normal, they can also include a new payment date.

You do not have to agree with this. If you do not, then the landlord has several options.

Either leave things as they are, or serve you notice to terminate the tenancy and for you to leave the property.

Your option is to accept the new fixed tenancy, or to say as you are and see what the landlord does, or leave and move to a new property.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you are essentially telling me that I either accept the new contract or wait for my tenancy to be terminated?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Or basically call his bluff and see what he does?

That really is all you can do, that is the options open between you both.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for you help James

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you