james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My Step daughter is applying for a civil service job and has

My Step daughter is applying for a civil service job and has to state details of all siblings including step siblings. The information they require is names, DOB and addresses.I have been told by my ex wife that due to GDPR I am not allowed to give this information. Could you play confirm what my rights are ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Surrey and they live in Hampshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: We have asked the mother and she has said due to GDPR she refuses to allow us to give the employer their address. Do I not have any rights as the children father
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's all

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

As the job application is for a civil service position, there would likely be additional vetting and depending on the job, even security vetting. That is the reason most likely for the requested information.

The requested information on a government form under such conditions would not be a breach of GDPR. People do get carried away with thinking everything is data protection etc etc. There are grounds where this would not apply and a government job role is such.

Ypu can indeed give the information

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I just want to know what rights I have as the childrens father and if I do provide the information whether this is breaching GDPR
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much for confirming this.

You have righrpts to assist the daughter to complete her job application, the requested information is not a breach as adviced.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

Your welcome.