How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5438
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I booked a flight ticket via Hays Travel Agents, with the

Customer Question

I booked a flight ticket via Hays Travel Agents, with the airline West Jet for a flight in 2020. I paid Hays. Because of COVID the trip could not take place. I have been trying to get credit/ refund ever since, but Hays tell me that they are unable to get a refund from the airline. I spoke to the airline and they say because of the type of ticket they would not offer refund, but only credit , and then again the agents whom I bought it from need to arrange any re-booking. I now no longer wish to re-book as the person whom I was going to visit has since returned from Canada ! Can I take one of them to small claims court ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not talked to a lawyer. I bough the tickets in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have had a long correspondence with Hays travel and I have spoken to WestJet by phone on a number of occasions
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The last time i heard from Hats was 8/7/21 and I have emailed them four times since asking for an update, but have received no response
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Jow did you pay for the ticket?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
By credit card, in Hay's offices
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i am happy to continue via text if that is ok
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.
Then if they are giving you the run around, as you paid by credit card, if the total value was more than £100, you can actually claim against your credit card provider.

Under the consumer credit act, they are jointly liable for the money and cancellation.

Contact the card provider, advice them you wish to make a claim under s.75 of the consumer credit act 1974.

They will then deal with your claim and should then refund your money.

Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.