Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Is someone involved in investigation allowed to take minutes

Is someone involved in investigation allowed to take minutes in a disciplinary hearing?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Work
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Investigation, adjourned because staff were not interviewed. Reconvened but the person taking minutes as well as asking questions in the Investigation also took minutes in the Reconvened hearing.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The presiding officer in the first disciplinary still presided the reconvened hearing yet she was involved on the investigation after the adjournment

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What would be the reason my representative does not take minutes in the hearing and now says will attend the appeal but not present my case?

1.  There is nothing to prevent someone who is involved in an investigation from taking minutes in a disciplinary hearing.  Essentially, they are creating a written record of the discipilinary hearing and this is permissible so that they may refer to it, when the disciplinary hearing has finished or in order to make a point in it, should the need arise, by referring to what was previously said.  Be aware that if you are involved in the disciplinary hearing, you can also make notes of what is being said.  This is a right which is open to everyone involved in the disciplinary process and procedure.

2.  If you require any clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.

3.  I am not sure why your representative will not take minutes in the hearing. It doesn´t make sense.  Taking minutes would have helped him represent you at an appeal as he would have a record of what was said to rely upon.  I would suggest you get someone else if you want someone to present your case.