How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MatthewM1117 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 649
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MatthewM1117 is online now

I was wondering if I could get an advice from you, but would

Customer Question

Hi, I was wondering if I could get an advice from you, but would you mind if I send longer text because I need to explain everything the best way I can. Thank you
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Staines Middlesex
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: No steps have been taken
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It's the was I have been treated at work since I become mum
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Can you provide some further information so that I can best advise you?

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.

Good afternoon can you provide further information so that I can advise you further?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I work for this company almost 8 years now. I always worked hard, never had any problems and everything was going well until I had a baby. I went on my maternity leave, came back and asked for my days to be reduced from full time to part time etc.
They agreed to give me 3 days a week for 3 months only and to continue 4 days.
My daughter now is two and half now and she is going to nursery Monday and Tuesday which I work those days, plus I work Saturday and Sunday while my sister loooks after her.
My daughter's nursery is closing at 5pm, and my working hours are 9-6 with one hour lunch break. It was very difficult for me to pick her up because of those times.
I have asked my manager if I could leave around 4:45 to get on time to pick her up and the rest to use as my 1 hour lunch break. He agreed with that. But after that we had a few arguments where he mentions always me leaving at that time in front of other people at work, plus saying other things. One day one of my colleagues was about to order food for all of us (which we did that few times before) when I said what I want to order my manager turn around in front all of them and said that I cannot eat as I take all my break leaving early. All I said to him was: " are you telling me that I cannot eat"? He said yes! I was upset that day, didn't talk to him and the day after I asked via phone for my area manager to see him.
Next day my manager took me to the office and obviously knowing that I asked for area manager to speak to him, he then told me that from that day I'm not allowed to leave early as before. Saying suddenly that my other work colleagues were complaining etc. I have asked him how I will pick up my daughter, he then said it's not his problem. I had no choice after that then go and pick up my daughter using my one hour lunch break, bring her back to work with me, wait for another half and hour or so then go home.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, have you raised a formal grievance in relation to your treatement?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, I didn't because I'm really worried that he will go against me and the reason I'm saying this is because other people told me that he apparently has these people in the company that would back him up. It's a lot more to add to what's is going on.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for the confirmation, I understand your reservations however without raising a grievance or raising your concerns it is unlikely that the employer will change their behaviour.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 8 days ago.

In addition, there appears to be elements of sex discrimination in your question. If you were to pursue this further by bringing a tribunal claim for discrimination on the basis of sex, or if you were to resign and sought to pursue a constructive dismissal claim the tribunal would be keen to know that before resigning you had fully explored the grievance procedure.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm not looking to resign as I love my job and I need my job being a single mum, so I cannot afford to quit my job. Also, I'm not looking for a help from our HR, because I didn't find them supportive in the past and I think they more work for the company not for the people.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification, can you specify what you are seeking so that I can advsie you?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm seeking to take this to Tribunal as I don't see any other resolution. Not only because he is the way he is because of me leaving early to go and pick up my child, but the things he said to me. I'II give you one example. I asked my Manger about this wooden clock how much will be in staff sale as I wanted to purchase it, he was keep repeating 'oh, you want a wooden co*k', I turned around and said to him, why are you saying this to me? I've asked for wooden clock! Things like that. This is going on for months now, and the stress I'm getting and the humiliation took me to the point where my GP had to prescribe me calming pills.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification, if you wish to pursue a claim for discrimination due to sex you will need to raise a formal grievance if you do not any award you receive will be reduced as you did not follow the ACAS guidelines (by up to 25%)

In practice most people who pursue a claim for discrimination feel they can no longer work for the company that is why I mentioned the constructive dismissal claim.

After you have fully explored the grievance process  you can then proceed to early conciliation with ACAS. You can do so here:

The conciliators at ACAS will contact your employer and indicate to them that you have started the conciliation process. ACAS will endeavour to mediate between you and your employer and see if they can help resolve the matter.

If they cannot resolve the matter then they will close conciliation and issue you with a EC Certificate. This is the first step in the legal process and once the EC Certificate has been issued you can make an application to the employment tribunal. Please be advised that there is a very strict time to make an application to the Employment Tribunal which is 3 month minus one day from the date the issue arose.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 8 days ago.

Do you have any follow up questions?