How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3485
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

If I held a genuine belief that somebody owed me money, and

This answer was rated:

If I held a genuine belief that somebody owed me money, and I said to that person, if you don’t give me back my money I will report you to the Police for crimes I believe you have committed, does my conduct amount to blackmail?And…In layman’s terms what does demanding money with menace actually mean?

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Demands with menace is basically the legal term for blackmail and is defined under Section 21 of the Theft Act 1968.   If the police are dealing with this matter, they may look to bring a charge against you, however there are 2 recognised defences for this type of act, and if you are able to  satisfy one of them then there would not be a conviction.   The act States that the defence is reasonable grounds for making the demand and that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand.   If you are charged with the offence then you may wish to instruct a defence solicitor.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks. Actually it relates to a civil matter and the Respondent has made this allegation against me. No Police involved. I have a Strike Out hearing scheduled for this week and I just want some guidance on this point