Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am trying to recover a debt of £64.98 from Groundlevel,

I am trying to recover a debt of £64.98 from Groundlevel, goods were never received. But payment was made through PayPal. July 3rd 2021
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Staffordshire UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Various emails, where their customer services begin dialogue with apologising for being unable to fulfill the order, then many others promising refund, failing to action that refund, apologising then same thing again and again. I have tried phoneing but everyone is working from home so I've unable to speak to anyone
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Can't think of anything

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Have you raised a formal dispute via PayPal?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok

Thank you. Have you raised a formal dispute via PayPal? and what is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I can't afford £44
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Just do messages

No problem. Have you raised a formal dispute via PayPal? and what is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please cancel phone call
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Just cancel it all and I want my initial £5 back please

The pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatically generated by the site and you have already paid for a written response so that is the part I will continue helping you with. Please contact customer services to cancel the call and request a refund by following the link below:

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-to-request-refund

In the meantime, have you raised a formal dispute via PayPal? and what is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
CANCEL the call immediately please.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have to go to a 10.15 doctors appointment.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My gripe is not with PayPal but groundlevel, who have accepted that they were unable to fulfill the order.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please send me the link to reclain the £44
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I need to leave now for doctors appointment
Please send link to reclaim money.

Thank you for providing the information requested. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If you ordered goods which were never received, you obviously have the right to request a refund for them, or get replacement goods sent out. It is your choice and if you have decided on a refund, you should be issued with that within 14 days.

If the company is not willing to do so, or there are severe delays in actioning your request, you can consider taking this further, which would involve a potential claim for compensation for the amount in question.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much for such a full, easy to understand email, giving me clear advice and timings in order to follow this through with in a legal framework..
Again many thanks for your help.
Jennie Scoyne

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best