How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19644
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Does a company have a legal obligation to notify Companies

This answer was rated:

Does a company have a legal obligation to notify Companies House regarding a change of address
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: County Durham Northeast
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: we are pursuing a claim against a company which has been escalated to High Court agents have made a visit but no longer at the address, which is still on Companies House
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just regarding the address at Companies House as we do not want to go back to court for change of address with another 14 day grace period

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, under the Companies Act 2006 a company must update Companies House not more that 14 days after the registered address has cahnged.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The case this far
27/05/2021 sent a request for outstanding payment £9679.49 giving 7 day notice of legal action (no reply)
15/06/2021 court awarded claim against the said company (no reply)
21/07/2021 escalated to high court (no reply)
02/09/2021 Agents paid a visit t be told the lease had been changed on 01/06/2021 to different company (same director) a mear 4 days after our letter
On the 28/07/2021 we received an email requesting an up to date statement for monies owed to reconcile our account from the said company also to notify of us of change of address, of which I replied by email giving the requested information. I followed this up with a call to a senior account manager to be told the new staff member had sent this in error told me to contact the legal dept which I did but again had no reply.
The bailiffs are telling me I need to reapply to the court to make another visit. The reason I asked if they had a legal obligation to change address at Companies House is to see if we could not pursue the court as the address is still showing. I do not think we have the time to go for a court application , another 14 days grace period before the company ceases to trade Have you any advice please thank you

Thank you for the further details, this is outside the scope of my expertise therefore I will opt out to allow another expert to assist you.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email:***@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request payment within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

If you do want legal representation you can get a public access Barrister. They are far cheaper than going to a Solicitor direct. You can get a public access Barrister at:

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19644
Experience: Solicitor
Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Please let me know when is good to chat and I will call