Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Is it illegal to screenshot whatsapp conversations and share

Is it illegal to screenshot whatsapp conversations and share them?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: On my phone
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello, thank you for your response.Is it illegal to send screenshots of conversations on whatsapp and send them to someone?

1.  It is not illegal to screenshot WhatsApp conversations and share them, so long as you are one of the people who engaged in the conversations.  As you were part of the conversation, you can share it.  However, it would not be lawful to screenshot someone else´s WhatsApp conversation and to share them if you were not a party to the conversation.  This would be a breach of confidentiality.  However, when it is your own conversation, these issues don´t apply and you can share them freely.

2.  If you require any clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In this case. The messages have been with a married person. The conversations are between me and married person. Is it then illegal to send these conversations to the married partner?

3.  No, it is not illegal for you to send the conversations to the married partner.  However, you should just be careful about any follow on particularly if  people are going to get upset about their content.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok please can you explain further as to what you mean by i should be careful specially if one is upset?1. Can the married person I am messaging sue me for sharing these to her partner?2. Can the married partner who recieved the screenshots from me sue me for anything?

4.  Neither of them can sue you unless what was stated in the WhatsApp Conversations was defamatory of one of them.  Otherwise, there is no liability.  However, I am merely pointing out to you that people can be very sensitive about these issues.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok the conversations will only be proving that we have been having some sort of relationship for a while. Her expressing her feelings to me... Her begging me to give her another chance after trying to end things. Also some conversations also got sexual. Are these types of conversations ok to send over without being sued by either of them?I do fully understand people can be very sensitive with these issues.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Having looked more into Defamation. Can the Married partner not sue me for causing embarrassment or hurt feelings.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good day is there a limited amount of questions i cab ask?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
can
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi what time can i expect my call?

5. These types of conversations are at one end of the scale when it comes to getting sued.  They will not result in liability but everyone involved will be quite sensitive about what is disclosed.  So, you should thread carefully because you might end up on the end of legal proceedings, even though there ultimately might be no liability. The married partner might be able to sue you for intentional infliction of nervous shock, but that is only if the disclosure has a bad impact upon them. So, you should thread carefully.