JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My landlord is not allowing me to leave my contract,

My landlord is not allowing me to leave my contract
JA: Where is your landlord? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
JA: What steps has your landlord taken so far?
Customer: he told me to find a replacement tenant & once I do, I can be released. Once I found a replacement he still hasn’t let me go
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

With a tenancy such as yours you are in a binding contract with the landlord. They do not have to let you leave early.

The only situations where a tenancy can be ended are, you finish the tenancy term or there is a break clause meaning you can end the tenancy part way through. Or the landlord agrees to you leaving early - usually if another tenant can be found. You could terminate and try to argue the landlord unreasonably refused - it depends if they agreed to you being able to leave on the proviso another tenant could be found. You say one has been found bu the landlord is refusing - you need to ask them why. If they have gone back on their word then you could hold them to the agreement and you could leave. It would be worth asking the housing department at your council to see if they help too - as they could speak to the landlord if you landlord is being unreasonable. You can reach yours here: https://www.lincoln.gov.uk/private-housing
In terms of next steps, please ask your landlord why they are now refusing to let you leave despite the fact you have found a replacement tenant. And then speak to the council to see if they can help. You could leave now and you may be pursued by the landlord for rent arrears - you would need to defend a claim if one was made against you. If it's a small claim then it's easy to deal with (no lawyer is required) - you can also use this site for ongoing help if you need it.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for the detailed response. My issue is, my landlord keeps pushing the goal post. He said that I will get a release form if I find a replacement tenant (which I did). Then he said that he will give me a release form if I pay a £125 fee for paperwork (which I did), now he’s saying, he send me a release form if I pay the outstanding rent payment. I find this to be unfair. I’ve had a look over my contract & it doesn’t say I have to do any of that. I’ll send you some copies now. Please could you give me advice on what actions I need to take? Thank you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here’s one
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here’s the next copy
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here’s the 3rd
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here’s the fourth

Thanks, ***** ***** set out the written Q&A though as per our site's terms and conditions a document review is an extra charge.
I have sent a premium service offer over.
Kind regards,
Jim