Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How to get divorced if married in South Africa and not

how to get divorced if married in South Africa and not registered in UK
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in the UK but did not register my marriage
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
many thanks

1.  Once you are resident in the UK, it is possible to get divorced in the UK even though your marriage was celebrated in South Africa.  There is no need to register the marriage in the UK for a UK divorce to be good to end the marriage.  Essentially, the UK divorce will end the marriage and you can then remarry.  So, if you want a divorce in the UK to end the South African marriage, you should see a solicitor and get divorce proceedings issued in the UK.  Divorce in the UK is based upon being resident in the UK.  There is no requirement to register the marriage in the UK.

2.  If you require any clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
many thanks- that is perfect.