How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13372
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

How to get divorced if married in South Africa and not

This answer was rated:

how to get divorced if married in South Africa and not registered in UK
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in the UK but did not register my marriage
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
many thanks

1.  Once you are resident in the UK, it is possible to get divorced in the UK even though your marriage was celebrated in South Africa.  There is no need to register the marriage in the UK for a UK divorce to be good to end the marriage.  Essentially, the UK divorce will end the marriage and you can then remarry.  So, if you want a divorce in the UK to end the South African marriage, you should see a solicitor and get divorce proceedings issued in the UK.  Divorce in the UK is based upon being resident in the UK.  There is no requirement to register the marriage in the UK.

2.  If you require any clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
many thanks- that is perfect.