james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I rented a container 7 years ago and within this were my

I rented a container 7 years ago and within this were my deceased mothers furniture, 3000 of her books, ornaments etc and personal items of my own - I do not have a complete inventory but it was fulll. I had not visited the container for about 2 years as my husband developed Covid and is still recovering. I went with my husband and brother 2 weeks ago with the intention of looking at what we had etc. The padlock was gone so my husband found the site owner who told him he emptied it 18 months ago. As he had not seen us for some time he asked his secretary if they were still reclining the monthly rental. She told him it hadn't been paid. My husband showed him on his phone that the last payment was made on 16/08/2021. He was shocked. I asked what he had done and he said he paid someone to take everything away and when asked where it went he said he didnt know. He has subsequently called his I assurance company and was told this is not covered. He has a solicitor and they have offered me my retal money for the last 7 years with and addition of about £1000. The letter I have received states the company has little financial assets and this is all they are prepared to offer. It also makes mention that you cant put a price on feelings of personal items. I am very upset and I understand that I will never be able to replace what has been lost and was advised to seek advice. The offer runs out this saturday.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Gloucestershire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Its straight forward. They broke the contsact and illegally disposed of everything. I have a written contract.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear what has happened. Very upsetting for you.

As the company has little assets, and as they are offering £1000 compensation as well as all 7 years rental that does appear to be a reasonable compromise. You could sue them, but if they are uninsured for the loss and have no assets then it really is a pointless exercise.

If you have proof of any items that were in there and the value then you could sue for those costs if you choose to. However, the company could go bust and you,receive nothing.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The company is asset rich as it is farmland and they rent out units as well as containers and the farmland.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please dont call me I cant afford £44

Although it is a farm, is the storage a separate business that operates from the farm,

To sue, you would need to value what has been lost and provide proof of the value with a list of the items.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I understand but I am upset that I have paid £44 for a phone call I have not received. Is this normal practice. If so I am extremely disappointed. Regarding the items I only have spreadsheet with my mothers books
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would appreciate a response.

As explained, you can sue them if you have proof what was stored and have values. They are liable, but if they have no assets you won’t get anything.

As for the call option you need to contact customer service for a refund, Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The solicitor has not called

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.
kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-to-request-refund