TTlaw
TTlaw, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
113135352

I have a friend who is in the UK On a unmarried partner

Hi. I have a friend who is in the UK On a unmarried partner visa. They have 5 months left on the visa. They are in the process of separating from their partner. Where does that leave them in terms of staying in the uk
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: not yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They have a job in the uk

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I will revert back shortly with an answer to your question.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

As their circumstances are changing, ie, relationship ending. They will need to either make an application to remain in the UK under a different immigration route or leave the UK prior to the expiry of their visa.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They currently work in retail as a sales advisor. Would they have the option of switching to a working visa

As they have a job in the UK they could potentially ask their employer to sponsor them.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They are only getting paid £8.62 per hour. My limited understanding is that they would need 70points or more to qualifying for a work visa.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The salary rate has an influence on the points
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would they still qualify for a working visa based on this info

They will need to earn at least £25,600.

Per year.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What would happen if they were to get married to a Uk citizen. Not the current partner to which they obtained their visa

They would then need to make an application as a spouse of a British citizen and meet all the requirements.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Could they still do that while they are in the uk under the unmarried partner visa

Yes but would need to show the new relationship is genuine and subsisting.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for your help

No worries and all the best.