Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I need a legal advice, United Kingdom, nothing, I enroll for

hi i need a legal advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I enroll for online course but it seems something is fishing i want to terminate the course but they are being dudgy

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Please provide some more details of your circumstances. Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I enrolled for a Networking Engineering online course with job placement. I paid first installment of about £137 and second installment £137 of £about £1096. Afterward the course provider then sent an email with course outline and i was told according to the outline that there would be internal accessment exam before I proceed to my professional exam (CCNA). The issue now is that the internal exam questions set was purely based on Hardware engineering i have screen shots of all questions. I told them i never applied for Hardware engineering why do you set questions in course i am not interested in. according to thier t&c it was stated that after 14days if a student do not cancelled there would be penalty for a course that have over 300 hours which cannot be digested even in 3 months so there was no way to see exams questions. the course is split into 2 parts theory and lab. I have just finished thet theory part only for me to get exam questions purely on hardware courses. Now I requested that programm should be cancel since i was told i must continue or pay a termination fee of about £270
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i checked online later i realized someone else had fall into same issues 2 years ago i have a screen shot of the review#
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
they set different questions in the internal exam because they knew that if a student cant pass it you will not qualify for the job placement this is like i was been decieved
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Plus the materials are sub standard

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If you were not provided with what you were originally promised, or the services they have provided you with fell below a reasonable standard, you can challenge them and ask them to cancel, together with getting some, or all, of the fees back.

However, as you cannot force them to do any of that, you may have to consider taking it further more formally in order to get anywhere. That may involve you seeking compensation legally.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for the reply. I have sent 2 emails asking them to cancel my course including one from there website page for cancelling of course but they keep sending me annoying messages that I cant cancel a course unless I pay them about £250+ for cancelling fee. I haven't seen such a cancelling fee before even in University

They can ask for whatever they want but it does not mean it is necessary by law. After all, they are relying on you to pay that fee voluntarily and you can always refuse to do so and say that you assume the course is cancelled simply due to your request and the issues experienced so far

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Ben for the info. Will keep you posted.

You are most welcome and all the best.