12826847

I have been summons to court over an alleged common assault

Good afternoon,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have been summons to court over an alleged common assault charge, I was visited at home by 2 police officers who asked me a few questions in my kitchen and then left leaving me a form to go have my finger prints taken at my own leisure. Then I'm told by the court when I rang that I am bailed to appear ? I have given no statements, not been cautioned and not asked to attend the police station to be formally interviewed and give a statement ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dagenham Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing I received a letter in the post last week and tried to speak to the court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just need to know if I can be taken to a hearing without giving evidence Tec ?

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Can you give me all the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I was working for a company called Qualis Group as a repairs supervisor on behalf of Epping Forest Council. I attended a property that was being worked on and the resident was unhappy, it has been an incoming case involving the housing department as this resident was unhappy to be at home while the works took place. When I arrived with the contractor the resident was unhappy and agitated. I looked at the work showed her the materials used and she became aggressive with us Nd shouted and swore. The contractor left but the resident blocked my path to the exit. She had been flagged with issues relating to mental health and as someone who has late onset autism I tried to escape. I did not touch the resident but demanded to be allowed to leave the premises. She followed me out but I had already reverted to defence mode and had swore back myself to allow me room to escape. The resident then appeared at the door crying and saying I had verbally abused her. I shouted back that I was abused first and various other things regarding my safety.I was immediately fired from my post for swearing as called the office then called the police saying she had been verbally assualted. I heard nothing for months and have been unemployed since then I get a letter after the visit from the police at my home and giving the finger prints a few weeks later ?I was surprised and rang the court who said the hearing was a heckled for 1 minutes and that I was bailed to appear so could be arrested if I did not attend ?I didn't know what to do but wanted to see if I was able to be charged without myself giving evidence of being cautioned and interviewed ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello are you still there ?

Ok, are you asking if you have a defence.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I wasn't even charged I was just told to attend court?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How can I be found guilty of a dB y offence if I wasn't charged or interviewed?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would call but I don't have the funds available hence I'm on this site seeking some advise

Because they have requisitioned you. They don't charge or interview in those circumstances. Obviously they can't do it before you go to court but you can be convicted at court.

The normal interviews aren't really a positive position for defendants.