Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If a school provides appraisals to men teachers but not to

If a school provides appraisals to men teachers but not to women secretarys is that an offence under the equality act
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: WSCC school
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Going to tribunal
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thanks
Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What reason has the school provided for wanting to appraise female secretaries?

Can I also just check how long you have worked for your employer?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No they don't give appraisals to school secretary's only men teachers
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No

The pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatically generated by the site and you have already paid for a written response so that is the part I will continue helping you with. Please contact customer services to cancel the call and request a refund by following the link below:

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-to-request-refund

In the meantime, please also tell me how long you have worked there for

Do you know the grounds on why they did not provide these to the women?

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with general information, which hopefully will still be useful to you. The first thing that stands out is that the comparison is not necessarily between men and women, but between teachers and assistants. Had it been that only male assistants received appraisals, whereas female ones did not, then yes, that can be a likely sex discrimination issue. However, the employer can always argue that the reason for the difference in treatment is not gender-related but due to the nature of the job. Specifically, that teachers, due to what they do and as part of their role, would get appraisals, whereas assistants, not being teachers, would not. Also, if the employer can show that even if an assistant would not have been due an appraisal even if they were male, it is another possible defence for them to use.

So whilst it is possible that some sort of discrimination occurred here, it has to be shown that the reason for it was due to gender, rather than the other grounds I mentioned above.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.