Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have had an incompetent decorator/builder who has made a

I have had an incompetent decorator/builder who has made a mess of the work - Screeding and tiling and painting. Half the screeding did not adhere to the floor and had to be pulled up along with 18 new vinyl tiles. Paint work was not prepared properly and is just lifting off in sheets. I have paid him half the money but have refused to pay him the the half.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked him not to come back and am getting another firm to estimate the cost of finishing the work and undoing the mistakes he has made
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have paid him half of the money for the job. Do I have to pay him the other half as the job is not finished and a good deal of the work will need to be redone

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it to proceed with the services in question. If there are problems and the trader cannot satisfy the above criteria, which are legally expected of them, the consumer will have certain rights

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. That is something which should be negotiated between the two parties. However, if the trader refuses to resolve the issues, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the balance that is still owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred as a result.

So you should really give him an opportunity to resolve these issues before you get someone else in but if he is not willing to do so then that is when you can potentially look at someone else fixing the issues and then withholding the money owed to cover for these extra costs.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.