How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14820
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My gas supply with Scottish Power was erroneously

This answer was rated:

Hi, my name is***** my gas supply with Scottish Power was erroneously transferred in August to EON. . They now have my gas supply back but have put me on a Standard tariff. if I go on a new tariff, i will be roughly £1460 out of pocket come May 2023 when my original account tariff was due for renewal
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hull
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted EON with no luck. contacted scottish power on saturday and was told the tariff i would be put on was £97 odd. am in the process of sending an email to Dima Rey, customer services at S C who assured me by email that my gas supply would not be transferred, that was on the 3d Sept. transfer took place 9th
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Take too long for me to type it all

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

It seems this is Scottish Power's fault and your consumer rights may have been breached.

Because the dispute is with a gas company (SC), you can avail of the Ombudsman scheme here - which should resolve the dispute. It is free to use and quicker than court action - you have to first make a complaint to the energy company, wait for their final response and then go to the Ombudsman. The initial complaints should take up to 8 weeks and the Ombudsman can take up to 16 weeks for a decision to be made.
In the meantime you should dispute any bill you may receive as this is not your fault. They should not take any enforcement action for the duration of the complaint investigation.

You now have to make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

The complaint to Scottish Power can be made here:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Energy Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a resolution and you should not be out of pocket. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly. My view is they have acted poorly as they told you the supply would not be transferred, which was clearly not the case.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not receive this then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

Once you have SC's final response and assuming they do not resolve this, you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman by email here: *****@******.***

Or via their website here:

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that might be the answer and thank you greatly for you help. Will follow your advice. Regards Colin