How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8102
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am currently in the process of renting a property for 1195

This answer was rated:

I am currently in the process of renting a property for 1195 per month. I was accepted on Friday 10th September by the landlord, and was instructed to pay a holding deposit, which I did on the same day. Today, I signed a pre-referencing application form for the property. I received a call abouit 30 mins ago and an email stating an amended offer had been made for property from another party, for 1350 per month and 12 months upfront. What I need to know is, is it lawful for a landlord to accept another offer considering we had already made the holding deposit payment?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: None
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


I am a solicitor.

Did you pass the referencing check?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello. This is prior to them processing referencing - they had us sign a pre-referencing document which listed all of the information for them to conduct the actual reference check. We've not passed referencing as it hasn't been conducted yet.

Thank you.

If a Tenancy Agreement has not yet been signed, I am afraid you would have a weak case against the landlord, if at all.

I would advise you to take the deposit back and look for another property rather than taking the legal route as there is no guarantee that you will be successful in court.

May I help further?

I trust that my response was useful.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you