UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Needing some help about staying in a rental property beyond

Needing some help about staying in a rental property beyond my end of tenancy date.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxfordshire, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Tenancy ended 10th September. I didn't renew as they wanted me to sign another 12 month tenancy but I'm in the process of buying a property of my own. So, Landlord gave 4 months notice for me to leave by 4th November. I then gave just over a month's notice saying I'd leave on 20th
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'd leave on 10th October. However, there's been a hold up in my house purchase and I won't be able to get access to my new house by 10th October. I asked my landlord if I could stay an extra month but they said No as they're advertising the house available from 16th October. Do I have a right to stay in the property beyond my notice date? Just to add, I'm a single parent with two disabled children and we're looking at being if no fixed abode from 10th October.

I am a solicitor.

You cannot be evicted without a court order, so you have a legal right to stay in the property until your landlord obtains a court order granting them possession.

You should simply refuse to move out until you are ready to do so.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I tell the landlord and letting agent that I'm going to do that? I don't want to cause problems for a future tenant.

Yes, you may do that and you may also check the legal position as advised by me with the housing department of your local authority.

All the best