How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19647
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We needed our chimney and roof repairing, we checked adds,

This answer was rated:

We needed our chimney and roof repairing, we checked adds , and reviews .the man came out and quoted us , he came back 14 days later and asked us if we wanted to go ahead ,he was best price so we said yes , he requested £550 for the seperate scafolding company, then £260 up front for him to carry out the repairs, with £200 to pay when finished to our satisfaction .He gave us bank account details to TRANSFER the money,, it didn't Ping? So we called Barclays and they gave no concerns or reasons why there was an issue ,or a possible RED Flag against this Trader? Barclays told us to ask the trader for another Account number? He gave us one and it Pinged. We then went and confirmed in an email what work we had agreed too and what we expected and emailed it to his business email. (He never replied to it?) Infact we never heard or saw him ever again, aparently the account we transferd into while barclays were still on the line? Was the trades man's " Guir friends personal bank account" .we have since found out the trades mans busines was being struck off Company House because he failed to file accounts .clearly he knew his business was being Dissolved..we believe it has now officially been disolved and his Web page has disappeared off Google. We have now heard on face book 6 or more other people have paid for roof repairs and if he has done some of it he does a runner leaving them with half a roof over their heads ,( Rogue Trader). As the money never went to his dissolved business can it be pursued against him as Ex Director or his girl friend as Recipient of our money, what chance of a refund would we have with Barclays Bank ? WHERE DO WE STAND .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: chatteris in Cambridgeshire , England. PE166UD.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing we only found his Web page gone today and no contacts , email service etc available to contact him
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we know he and his guilfriend registered the business at a privately land lord rented residential property and they have absconded leaving landlord debts, we also know where/ Area they have moved too, WISBECH , Cambridgeshire , about 15 miles away from us.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

If the COMPANY you paid has been dissolved, then the money has gone.

You need to inform Trading Standards:

And Action Fraud:

They can investigate and prosecute if necessary.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just wonderd as the money never went to the business , but was sent to a private individual, are they possible culpable in law ,

Yes, they are. However you paid is liable.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 14 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

If you do want legal representation you can get a public access Barrister. They are far cheaper than going to a Solicitor direct. You can get a public access Barrister at:

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you