12826847

I run a small dog walking business and have 2 x company

I run a small dog walking business and have 2 x company vehicles. One of my team has use of one. It has been insured for the last 4 years but was not renewed. The team driver was stopped without insurance and the car impounded etc. I paid for immediate insurance plus impounded insurance.I would like to seek legal advice for the oversight /admin error of not having the car insured. Many thx.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not. I am in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: non. Apart from insuring the car for the named driver
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of thanks

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good evening Jo C. Thank you for your time. Please can you advise on the above. I have always paid personal and company car insurance and was not aware the company car used by one of my team was not insured. We are both concerned about the legal ramifications.

If you are asking whether you could be prosecuted then you could.

She could be prosecuted for driving without insurance and you could be prosecuted for permitting. It only carries points and a fine.

if she had no way of knowing she was uninsured she could argue there are special reasons not to add points to her licence but she doesn't have a defence to the allegation.

If its an admin over sight then you don't really have a defence but it will only be points and a fine.

Or, of course, nothing may happen.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would I as the owner to the vehicle take the points? Is there anything that I can do in advance or the hearing to help reduce any fines or points. ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is an admin oversight

They could prosecute both of you.

Its a minimum of 6 but it won't be any more than that for an admin error with no real consequences.

I am offline over night but I'll pick this up in the morning if you want to know anything else.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks. Is there any further help that you can provide ?