Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I recently moved and hired the services of a moving and

Hello, I recently moved and hired the services of a moving and storage company in order to move my personal effects from my previous dueling to my current. Residence. I have paid for the removal and several. Times for the storage service. The company in quesionstraight up refuses to give me a timetable, schedule it price for retrieving my items while they keep changing me for storage
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: When I hired the company I was in UK now I moved aboard to Cyprus
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Paid their invoices, asked them repeatably through e mails for a price or an estimated price to return my items. Always they tell me we will answer to you soon. This has been going on for a week. While I have not even been given a price estimate which I have been asking for a month now. I feel that giving and paying them for more storage time in the meanwhile is no longer prudent as they charge me for storage weekly
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The items are personal effects, like my pc and university books and might include irriplacable documents such as degrees and seminar attendance pappers

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
At this point I consider my items stolen. I think it is unlikely they will willingly return my it's to me
For all I known the companyight be a front for a catburgler team that stole all I own and made me pay for the privilege while having me pack my things to make it easier for them to pick them up. I suspect the reason they do not return them is because they fenced them or sold them in a flea market for extra pocket money. From my part I need to know a)should I keep paying their storage survives?
B) is there legal action I can take against the company to either receive my items or some compensation for them? I suspect that I might be able to sue for fraud or robbery.
C) is it economical for me to do so how much will it cost me if I persue the case
D) an approximate time frame for the whole process.

Hi I have tried calling but canot get through,. Do you have an alternative number please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
0035797679836

Hi there, so as mentioned the first thing you need to do is contact the company and state that you cannot continue paying storage fees anymore because the only reason your items are still with them is because of their unreasonable delay and you should not be penalised by having to pay more fees for these delays.

At the same time, you need to send a formal letter which says that you are giving them a final deadline to resolve this and arrange for the return of your items and state when this expires (I would suggest 2-3 weeks is reasonable). Advise them that failure to get this resolved as requested will result in you having to proceed wo court to seek compensation for the missing items.

If you had to initiate a claim, you can do this online via https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ben thank you for your answer I suppose you mean I need to send them a formal physical letter rather than an e mail. Ok then I LL see what I can do.

No, an email will be enough to start with and it does not have to be a physical letter through the post

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Dear Ioannis,
Thank you for choosing us!Unfortunately, we can make international removals only for items bigger than 50sq. ft.
I`m afraid that we are unable to help, thank you for your patience.Dear Ioannis,
I`m afraid that we are unable to help, thank you for your patience.
Kind regards,
Casper
Fantastic Services
Tel:***********Customer care:(###) ###-####1930
www.fantasticservices.com
Fantastic Club T&C: Please note that prices are subject to availability and location. Deals cannot be combined with any other deals and promotions. Read the full T&C here.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I received the above letter from them just now...I had not proceeded yet to give them a final notice does that change anything? provided that this is an interesting piece of information that could had given me from the very start in which case I would had hired someone else for the job or discussed a different arrangement.

Thank you. So when they agreed to provide the services, did they not discuss what their terms are and what they can and cannot do? Did they officially agree to move your items abroad, knowing how big they were?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We agreed on the phone which can probably be retrieved from my calls on 3, knowing very well the size that there are 3 items 2 handheld suitcases both fitting airplane cabin one with books and degrees 1 with clothing. And one box 25 inches in diameter with a 22 inches all in one pc in there barely 20 inches fat. My plan was to not leave the house if they could not do the transfer, return to the UK and take a cab. Pay priority to take one bag on the plane (the clothes) and and buy 2 extra bags in the airplane with total cost less than their services. I chose their services because including the 400 £ I would save from 1 month extra rent would be cheaper.
They did not send a container. They assured me both by phone and possibly by mail that they would deliver them in a foreign country. But refused to desclose a price. They did not send a 50sqft container to pick my items but a smal truck that barely could fit 20 square fee. And they kept changing me storage, without disclosing the above information for a whole month after wards while I was still trying to find a place to settle down. Despite asking for an estimated price at least 3 times by e mail + 2 times by phone. And another 4 times e mail and chat after I settled down last week.
They repeatably cited the excuse that they need an exact address for the service... Which would make no difference provided the items were in there hands already for a month and they were well aware they were less than 50 sq ft in size for well over a month

Thank you very much for clarifying. A lot would depend on what was initially agreed and also what knowledge they had of the size of the items and their destination. So if it was clear what size they were and where they were going and they still accepted them on the basis they can provide such a service, then they will be in breach now. You should not be charged for the storage to date as it is their fault that the items have been with them for so long and they should also arrange for their return, or as discussed, you can pursue them for compensation.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Well it has been quite obvious from their attitude that they do not intend to be accomodating the very least. In fact from the very beginning they tried to exploit me and steal from me. I am afraid, rather I am certain that if I ask them to return my items and refund their services they will not be forthcoming to a settlement, which is why I have been asking for legal advice. If you are aware of a professional that I can turn to since I am no longer local in the UK, and I am completely ignorant on UK law, I have some basic knowledge of Europe law, but nothing to write home with. so if you can introduce me to a professional to take over my case it will be lovely. After all the last thing I want is to write an email like the one Casper sent and incriminate myself....

When an employee is made redundant by their employer, they will have a minimum entitlement to receive certain payments. These are as follows:

- Notice pay for their contractual notice period, which must be at least as long as their statutory entitlement (1 week’s notice for every full year of continuous service, up to a maximum of 12 weeks). The employer would either have to allow the employee to work that notice period and pay them as normal, or they can decide to pay them in lieu of notice. That is when they are paid for the equivalent of the notice period but their employment is terminated immediately and they are not expected to work through their notice period.

- Statutory redundancy pay, which you can calculate here: https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

- Holiday pay for accrued, but untaken holidays in the current holiday year

You can use the full 14 years for the purposes of your continuous length of service. However, when you put in the wages which you use to calculate the redundancy pay, you can only use your current, part time wages.

Sorry that was the wrong reply, it was meant for someone else, please ignore it