UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My sisters tenancy ends on the 2nd october, she has found a

my sisters tenancy ends on the 2nd october, she has found a property she can afford to buy and asked for an extention of 6 to 8 weeks until the new property is hers, she has two children, the letting agents say she should get an airbnb and will start eviction proceedings we have asked if we could contact the owner to ask for the extention but she will not give details and says the property is sold. My sister has never missed a payment of rent and is moving out but need extra time and has said she will give them the completion date and details as soon as she knows. she is worried they will evict her before completion what are her rights if any
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Keyingham East Yorkshire just outside of Hull
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we have kept the letting agent know all along and have asked for help in sorting out another rented accommodation but her answer is ring the council. we have notified them that we have found a property and asked for the extension which she has said they will start eviction possession if not out. I have tried pleading that i have two children that are scared and surely they can wait just a few more weeks.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the property has been well looked after and no debt outstanding since she moved in

I am a solicitor.

She cannot be evicted without a court order and that process could take several months as the landlord has to first serve a statutory notice.

She should not worry and she should only move when she is ready.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not for now thank you for your help

You are welcome.

She may also contact the housing department of her local council to verify this.

All the best