Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Would just like to know what to expect really as we’ve no

Hi,would just like to know what to expect really as we’ve no clue , my grandson naively sold on his first do up car to his friend and his dad ,that said they would sort log as grandson didn’t know how to go on ,they obvs didn’t and grandson has been summoned to court for failure to comply with off road notification .we had the car sort they said we’re buying fir spare parts ,but obvs drive it still worn ,my grandson only recently passed his test and never drive on roads ( just on driving lessons) we know he’ ll have to take the consequences as I wrote and filled in forms for him to dvla,just when ndering what to expect ,worried sick ,thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stanley ,Durham uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: only replying to Letters and filling in forms ,we’ve no clue on court matters
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Do you mean your grandson sold this car for spare parts or driving?

what do you mean he didnt know how to send in V5 log with the new owners details?

and now he has received notification for it being on road?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yeah his friend and his dad said they would buy the car off him for spare parts as it was costing grandson too much money to fix ,it was Sorn by grandson .His friends dad said he’d fill in the required bit on log book ,grandson naively let him as was 17 -18 at time and had never had car before ,the car was sometime later seen on the road .we’ve filled in forms and sent in letters but he has been summonsed to court for failure to comply with off road notifications

I’m afraid that ignorance of the law is no defence.

The vehicle must be taxed tested and insured or you must make a Statutory Road Notification.

If he sold the car without advising DVLA of the change of keeper he commits a further offence.

This is an offence of strict liability, either he did it or he didn’t and if he didn’t, he commits an offence.

What will happen?  He will get a fine.  A couple of hundred pounds probably at most.

He will not get any points on his licence and he will not lose his licence and he will not go to jail.  It doesn’t have any long-term ramifications, only financial ones.

He would be better holding his hand up and saying that he pleads guilty because he just didn’t know the process.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much