How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14799
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My energy supplier is Avro Energy. I currently have a credit

This answer was rated:

My energy supplier is Avro Energy. I currently have a credit balance with them of £487.05. I emailed them on 24 August requesting a repayment of £100. To date I have enot had a reply. Also on 9 September a direct debit of £105 was sent to them but to date this has not showed up on my account. I have emailed them numerous times and tried ringing but all to no avail. What is my legal position with regard to this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailedd them numerous times, the answer I get is that a reply will be sent within 5-7 days. This has not happened. Also I threated to cancel my direct devit with them but was informed by my bank that as well as cancelling it with them Avro also has to cancel it. How can I get them to do this when they don't answer emails
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Noi

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

The only way to resolve this is to make a complaint then use the Ombudsman. You can cancel the DD but be prepared for them to chase you and they may even use a debt collection agency if they cannot recover the money due under the contract you have with them.

You can avail of the Ombudsman scheme here - which should resolve the dispute. It is free to use and quicker than court action - you have to first make a complaint to the energy company, wait for their final response and then go to the Ombudsman.
You must now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

The complaint to Avro Energy can be made here:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Energy Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a refund of the money. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not receive this then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

Once you have Avro's final response, assuming they do not upload your complaint, you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman by email here:***@******.***

Or via their website here:

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you