How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14763
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I left Eon seven months ago to be supplied by Green. There

This answer was rated:

I left Eon seven months ago to be supplied by Green. There was some controversy regarding final readings. This was 'solved' three or four months ago, Eon owing me approx £184. I have corresponded several times with Eon regarding this. They say I will be getting reimbursed but, as yet, I have not been.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds, West Yorkshire LS26 9JY
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: E mails.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

If you send them a letter before action first - they will want to avoid court action and I would think the letter will work. It needs to give them 14 days to pay. You can post it and also send by email. In the meantime, I recommend you make a complaint to them to speed matters up.

You can avail of the Ombudsman scheme here - which should resolve the dispute. It is free to use - you have to first make a complaint to the energy company, wait for their final response and then go to the Ombudsman.

I recommend you should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

The complaint to EON Energy can be made here:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Energy Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a payment of what is owed. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not receive this then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

Once you have EON's final response you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman by email here: *****@******.***

Or via their website here:

Example Letter Before Action below :

(insert their name and address) (insert date)


Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter. (Insert details of the dispute).

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert date 14 calendar days).

Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

If they do not respond, I would recommend you wait for their final response to the complaint and use the Ombudsman - as it is quicker than court action. You can sue in a small claim as a last resort, via the website.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, I'll hopefully keep you updated. I'm not very capable with, electronic devices!

No problem at all, many thanks

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you