JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I left Eon seven months ago to be supplied by Green. There

I left Eon seven months ago to be supplied by Green. There was some controversy regarding final readings. This was 'solved' three or four months ago, Eon owing me approx £184. I have corresponded several times with Eon regarding this. They say I will be getting reimbursed but, as yet, I have not been.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds, West Yorkshire LS26 9JY
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: E mails.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

If you send them a letter before action first - they will want to avoid court action and I would think the letter will work. It needs to give them 14 days to pay. You can post it and also send by email. In the meantime, I recommend you make a complaint to them to speed matters up.

You can avail of the Ombudsman scheme here - which should resolve the dispute. It is free to use - you have to first make a complaint to the energy company, wait for their final response and then go to the Ombudsman.

I recommend you should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

The complaint to EON Energy can be made here: https://www.eonenergy.com/contact/complaints.html

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Energy Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the energy company which would hopefully result in a payment of what is owed. They can order the energy company to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service which is carried out with care and skill - if you do not receive this then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of the energy company's conduct.

Once you have EON's final response you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman by email here: *****@******.***

Or via their website here: www.ombudsman-services.org/energy-complaint.html

Example Letter Before Action below :

(insert their name and address) (insert date)

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter. (Insert details of the dispute).

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert date 14 calendar days).

Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

If they do not respond, I would recommend you wait for their final response to the complaint and use the Ombudsman - as it is quicker than court action. You can sue in a small claim as a last resort, via the http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk website.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, I'll hopefully keep you updated. I'm not very capable with, electronic devices!

No problem at all, many thanks