How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4925
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Can a school refuse a biological parent access to his sons

This answer was rated:

Can a school refuse a biological parent access to his sons GCSE results? Both my ex partner and son told the school they didn't want the school to disclose his results
JA: Where are your ex partner and son? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England and its a state maintained school. I have joint parental responsibility NO court orders etc
JA: What steps have your ex partner and son taken so far?
Customer: They spoke to the school after the school approached them with my request
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The school used the excuses of a breach of his Human rights, then it was a breach of the data protection act and most recently stated that to disclose the information could cause my son serious mental or physical harm. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing wrong with my son. Thank you

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

If your son is 16 or over he is entitled to inform the school not to release his results to either of his parents. If the school has been expressly told by the child that he does not want his data released to you, then they have to comply with his request. It comes under the Data Protection Act as it is a privacy issue.

You should ask to see the school's policy on data protection and consent.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
SASH_Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you