How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75078
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I want to make a claim for damage and request compensation

This answer was rated:

Hi I want to make a claim for damage and request compensation under the consumer protection act. I have got some wording from citizens advice etc. but as I’m currently off work with stress/depression I think I’ll struggle to do it myself. Is there a solicitor I can use and if so how much might it cost me?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Gosport, Hants, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I complained at the time, I was promised an Email which I haven’t had. I have sent videos and photos. I have lots of evidence.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have insurance which will cover some of the damage but I want to make sure that the negligence, stress it’s caused and the fact they are taking no responsibility is not repeated. Citizens Advice said they will report it to trading standards

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Please explain your situation in some more detail. What exactly has happened?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Ben,
I had to put all my belongings into storage in Sept 2020 I.e. furniture, furnishings, clothes, personal belongings…everything. Last month August 2021 I was able to take my belongings out moving to a new address in Gosport. During the removal it was evident rats had been in the container and chewed and urinated on most of my belongings. The metal container had rust holes along the bottom wall on the right and it looks like they knew as they had been filled with putty. I have lots of evidence videos and photos, even a video of a dead rat found in one of my packing boxes.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi I’m sitting in a cafe at the moment are you able to call me at about 2:30?

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

As it was not me who accepted your call request, the person who did should try and call you at some point.

Going back to your query, you can always engage a solicitor to pursue a claim on your behalf but it will not be cheap, especially as most would charge by the hour, usually at a rate of £200ph or so. Assuming your total claim value will not be in the high thousands, it will probably not be worth having a lawyer do this for you because it will quickly eat into any potential compensation you may get.

As the time limit for such claims is 6 years, you may wish to consider whether it is worth waiting a little while whilst you start to feel better and are in a better position to pursue the claim yourself. You will not be penalised if you delay the claim by 6 months, a year or even longer, as long as you make it within the legally required time limit.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Ben. What does the extra £44 cover if I have the phone call?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I appreciate your advice it’s very helpful. It’s not clear that I can reject the phone call to continue?

Hi, the extra costs are just for the phone call. You can close the pop up down without proceeding with a call. If you have any queries about it, please contact customer services who will be happy to help you

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.