SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I have a question regarding a rented property. What rights

Hi, I have a question regarding a rented property. What rights do I have if my co-tenant is refusing to pay rent?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked for the money, and extended the time period during which they can pay me, however I don't believe that they will
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am usually the person which pays the full rent for the month ahead, and they pay me back every 2 weeks.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

You say 'co-tenant', is this a joint tenancy with both of you named as tenants on one tenancy agreement, or do you both have individual tenancies?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's a joint tenancy on one agreement. It may also be useful to note that I pay rent upfront each month and they pay me back bi-weekly, however this was only agreed on orally and not in
written form.

If the tenancy is joint you are both jointly and severally liable for the rent, which means that if one of you doesn't pay it, the other has to - and vice versa. The point being is that if you stopped paying that person's part of the rent, the landlord will go after both of you equally as there is just the one tenancy agreement.

If your joint tenant is refusing to pay rent and you cannot afford to pay it yourself, then you might need to ask the landlord to terminate the tenancy so that you don't end up in huge rent arrears.