SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I earlier asked a question regarding my co-tenancy, and

I earlier asked a question regarding my co-tenancy, and would like to ask a follow-up question. I understand that I am legally liable to pay my co-tenant's share of the rent, however, is it my legal right to ask them to vacate the property if they are refusing to pay?

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

No, I am sorry to have to tell you that it is not your legal right to tell them to leave the property - that right belongs to the landlord. You can speak to the landlord, explain the circumstances, and state that you cannot afford to pay the whole rent by yourself and would therefore like to terminate your tenancy. Terminating your tenancy will only end the tenancy when you both move out.

On the other hand, if you can negotiate with your joint tenant and get them to agree to leave the property willingly, then that would be a good option. Once they are gone you can ask the landlord to give you a new tenancy in your sole name.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.

You're very welcome.