Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I had a price for a used car from a dealer in May,

I had a price for a used car from a dealer in May, "Apologies for the delay, the cost of the car will be £20,315. That also includes*****tax."
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: With no conditions, that was the email. They now tell me that the price is £21500 plus road tax. Are they within their right to put the price up and refuse to honour the original price given there were no conditions. No expired date. Also it was given in the knowledge the it was for the private purchase once the lease had finished at the end of September.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I restarted the discussion last week with a reply to the original email asking about the procedure and paperwork to process the purchase.. They replied with the price increase. since then a few exchanges arguing about the honouring of the original price but they refuse to budge.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Simply whether this action of price increase is legitimate, are they within their right to put the price up.

Hi there, as discussed, a legally binding contract would have required an offer, followed by an acceptance and some sort of consideration. Sadly, that does not appear to have happened here as the acceptance never materialised on your side and you simply informed them that you will revisit the situation in the future, by which time the price had changed.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.