Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

If a company rents a building (landlord respomsiband there

If a company rents a building (landlord respomsiband there was mould in the ladies roilets that caused aspergillosis in an employee who is resoinsob Whoops. If a building is rented by a company and landlord responsible for upkeep who is responsible if mould in building caused aspergillosis in an employee? Surely company have duty of care?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: NHS building and they say not responsible
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Only if the employer knows there is a heath issue would they be liable.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

If you do want legal representation you can get a public access Barrister. They are far cheaper than going to a Solicitor direct. You can get a public access Barrister at: www.clerksroom.com

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
they are not liable?

Only if they knew about it or it was forseeable.

If they did not know, they can not be liable. Someone is only liable for something which they knew about

I hope that clarifies.